Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Downsize and Live a Simpler Life



For years I had housemates so I could save money on rent. After I finally became debt free, I decided to get my own place. However, I always looked for the cheapest place in a nice safe neighborhood. Safe is more important than cheap. I learned my lesson when I rented a cheap one bedroom apartment in a funky area of San Leandro. My car window was smashed, CD changer and gym bag were taken. My locker under the carport was broken into and the box of art supplies was taken. They were most likely useless to the burglars, but they were expensive to acquire. After that, my rule was to find the most affordable place in a nice neighborhood. You can get a feel by just driving around the neighborhood. You can also do some research on the internet for any area you are planning on moving to. Apartment Ratings is also a good resource to get some idea whether you want to move into a certain complex.You want to avoid any apartment complex that has a history of keeping everyone's security deposits or have pest problems.

My rent had always been on the cheap side. I have rented studios and taken over other people's leases. I didn't mind whether it was an old apartment as long as everything was functional and clean. I preferred to use the money I saved from rent for traveling. The biggest monthly expense for most people is the rent or mortgage. I personally feel it is important to keep this expense as low as possible so I wouldn't feel trapped at my job. I wanted to have the option of walking away from any job when it was no longer making me happy.

I think Felice Cohen's apartment (see video) is awesome. I would totally live in there although I would miss having a real kitchen since I do love to cook.  The original article is here.

3 comments:

  1. Convenience and safety are important when looking for an apartment to rent. I am willing to shell out extra dollars just to feel secure, and the apartment is near restaurants and market. I watched the video and I do not see myself renting the space! Like you, I also love to cook.

    makati apartments

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 90-foot square apartment is a bit extreme, and we Americans are so used to everything being bigger than the rest of the world. I remember when I took my first trip to London, my friend and I couldn't believe how tiny the hotel room was in compare to any hotel/motel rooms we have here in the states.

    ReplyDelete