Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taking On Odd Jobs


I never had much trouble getting a job or a few jobs. One of the reasons is that I don't have my eyes fixed on some 6-figure position. I would take a tolerable job just so I could pay my bills. Although I am taking a year off from working full time, I applied for a few part time jobs so I have my basic expenses covered, such as health insurance (it's a shame that we Americans still don't have universal health care), utilities, internet, cellphone, car insurance/expenses, tuition (only because I want to take classes!), and food.

The best place to find odd jobs is Craigslist.org. I think all of my full time jobs were applied through craigslist in the last 10 years. Through its part-time section, I was hired for 2 jobs. One job asked for a year commitment, and it's just one day a week. However, since it's a restaurant business, I get to take quite a bit of food home each time I go to work. I hardly have to do any grocery shopping.

The second part time job is more freelance. I get a call when computer help is needed, I let them know my earliest availability and work anywhere from 1-4 hours per visit. I get paid at the end of each session. I usually get called only once a week.

Between the two very part-time jobs, I have all of my basic expenses covered. Sometimes there are unexpected expenses such as car repair, which happened last month. My car could not pass smog, so repairs were needed even though it ran perfectly. That was an unexpected $500 expense. Of course, an alternative would be to get rid of the car altogether, which is an idea I have been contemplating.

The "gigs" section also has some paid odd jobs. I have answered to several postings under "gigs" but didn't receive any response. If I needed extra money to cover unexpected expenses, I would look through "ETC" under "jobs" and/or "gigs" to make extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment