Thursday, January 20, 2011

How to Stretch One Free Meal into Three Meals


A few days ago, a friend of mine treated me to Plouf to celebrate my soon-to-be-free life. Plouf is located at 40 Belden Place in San Francisco's Financial District. Belden Place is a very short dead end street hidden between Bush and Pine and between Kearny and Montgomery. The little block is filled with European style restaurants, and they are all a bit fancy and quite good. A squirrel like me wouldn't normally go there, but my friend was treating me, and it really is an occasion worth celebrating.


I ordered "Plouf Mussels." The Mussels were cooked in a broth with shallots, pastis, roasted garlic (lots of it!), chili flakes and fine herbs. I think they also added cream and butter. It was excellent. I ate almost of the fries and all the mussels. When I was done, there was a bowl of that awesome broth. I couldn't leave the broth there. It would just be a shame to throw away that broth. If you were traveling and have no way of taking it home, then I would forgive you; otherwise, you would be a damned fool to leave it there.

The restaurant also served complimentary French baguette that was crunchy outside and soft inside. I had to take that with my broth. You know they would just go into the garbage if you don't take them. The sweet waiter even gave me an extra piece of baguette to take home.

I took some of the broth and the baguette to work next day for lunch. For the rest of the broth, I added some water and cooked rice noodles in it. I added water because you know everything from a restaurant is high in sodium. Even though I added water, it still tasted perfectly seasoned. I also added more cayenne pepper and some chanterelle mushrooms to the soup. It was a great dinner.

So, this was how one awesome meal was stretched into three awesome meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment