Thursday, January 13, 2011

No Part Time

Chipmunk returned from his business trip on Monday. He had seen the email announcement about my departure. When he heard about my offer to work two days a week, he seemed relieved and was happy about the idea. He told my manager to work out the details with me.

On Tuesday morning, the manager called me from home to tell me to meet with the HR manager about working part time. That was when I heard from the HR manager that my pay rate would stay exactly the same. There would be no performance review for last year to give me a raise however tiny it was for the previous two years. I notified my manager that I would not be able to work part time at the same pay.

Chipmunk told me that afternoon that he cannot pay me any more money because they can't afford it. I don't know how that logic works. I reduced from 40 hours to 16 hours with no benefits, and they suddenly couldn't afford to pay me a couple dollars more an hour. Let's not forget that my salary was written into both of their government grants. I pointed these facts to him. Did he think I was that retarded?

No matter. He insisted that he just couldn't afford to pay me a penny more. For the rest of the day, he was trying to figure out the work I have been doing for the last two years. I prefer to archive everything electronically - it saves paper, reduces storage space, and I can find my documents from my desk. Chipmunk is old school. He has physical file cabinets that are filled with papers inside of folders. He asked me where the paper files were for the projects. I showed them to him. He was surprised how small those files were. He wanted to know where all the non-disclosure agreements were. I emailed him the path of the folder on the shared server.

Seeing him typing ever slowly on his keyboard, I had to shake my head. Perhaps he is really struggling financially. I have been handling their finances and have seen many $200 (or more) dinner receipts for two people. I have seen the purchases on his credit card statements. I know how many iPads they asked me to order using the grant money.

No, I do not feel sorry for him. I know another person will come along and take the job although the last person they hired after extensive interviews only lasted 2 weeks. She quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment