Friday, January 7, 2011

Mother

Momma's gonna make all of your nightmares come true
Momma's gonna put all of her fears into you
Momma's gonna keep you right here under her wing
She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing 
- Roger Waters

I was feeling pretty good today. I felt that the light at the end of the tunnel wss near, and that I would be able to give a shot at what I always wanted to do. That was until Mother called. I was just finishing up dinner, so I asked her to call me back in 10 minutes. She called back, and I had no idea what she wanted to talk about.

She told me that she had been thinking about it since I mentioned to her a few days ago that I would quit my job to enroll in an Anime program in Tokyo. She thought it was not a good idea to quit my job. She thought I should stay with the job while looking for a new job since I don't like the job. She talked about how difficult it is to find a job now. People have spent years trying to get a job. My uncle has not been able to find a job since he quit his job. She said it would be more stressful if I didn't have a job.

I didn't tell her that I had already turned in my 2-week notice. I didn't tell her that I had murderous thoughts from all the anger and frustration with the job. I didn't tell her that I didn't feel life was worth living if I had to enslave myself to a job that was completely meaningless to me. I told her that I will be taking night classes and be very busy. I didn't want to stay on the phone with her anymore.

I thought about Mother by Pink Floyd. In regard to the song, Roger Waters said, "If you can level one accusation at mothers, it is that they tend to protect their children too much. Too much and for too long."

It doesn't matter whether you are a teenager, an international rock legend or a mother yourself, you can relate to one another on this - your mother can drive you crazy and depressed with their good intentions.


No comments:

Post a Comment