Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Still Eating Out of Pantry


Over a week ago, I stopped going to the grocery store. I wanted to see how long I could last without going shopping. Now over a week later, I still have plenty of food in the pantry and in my garden. I do have to get a bit more creative than usual. I bought some Knorr's Chicken Bouillon a while back from 99 Cents Store. 99 Cents Store is great if there's one near you. They even sell fresh produce now. In the summer, I bought many packs of blueberries from there for 99 cents per package. They are usually about $3 in regular grocery store. You do however have to refrain yourself from impulse buys since everything is 99 cents or less. If you can't control yourself, you may end up with a bunch of things you don't really need or eat. Try stay away from those mini candy bars.


For dinner tonight, I boiled a pot of water with a cube of chicken bouillon then added some rice noodles into it. I bought the rice noodles a while back and had been too lazy to cook them. You need to soak dried rice noodles in water or warm water first. When I tell people that I am eating out of pantry, people may get the impression that I didn't have any fresh produce. The mini produce department is actually right outside of my backdoor. One of my favorite vegetables is broccoli. I grow broccoli De Cicco, an Italian variety with open heads and long stalks. The leaves and stalks are all edible. They are smaller than regular broccoli and a lot more tender. I got some seedlings from a local grower over a year ago. Initially I thought they weren't going to survive, but they made a come back and flourished and seeded. They even survived the winter frost last month.

I clipped some broccoli De Cicco for my noodle soup.


I also have some mushroom blocks in the back garden, and some shiitake mushrooms are growing now. These might be the last of them for the season if it doesn't rain again soon. The mushrooms went in the soup, too. I think I eat quite well. I much prefer what I have over a box of frozen dinner. I will see if this can last another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment